If you’re planning on taking a trip to the Rocky Mountains be aware that we are once again entering bear season. Bears can begin emerging from their dens as early as mid-March.
Here are a couple of tips if you are headed into bear country:
- Make noise, loud shout every few minutes is more effective then bear bells
- Carry bear spray in a belt or chest holster
- Travel in groups and keep children between adults
- Don’t let anyone fall behind or ahead
- Keep your dogs on a leash or leave them at home
When you encounter a bear follow these tips:
- Do not run
- Stay close to those you’re with
- Watch the bear and respond to what it is doing
- Never offer the bear food
- Speak calmly to the bear
- Make slow movements
- Do not turn your back on the bear
For more tips, click here.