After a week of relief, it looks like our old friend the extreme cold warning is back in Central Alberta.
At around 3:30 this afternoon, Environment Canada issued the warning stating that extreme cold wind chill values near -40 are expected to develop overnight.
There is a risk of frostbite and hypothermia for those who are outdoors.
It looks like the cold weather won't last though with temperatures forecast to hit plus 4 on Thursday.
From Environment Canada:
3:33 PM MST Tuesday 18 January 2022
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- City of Red Deer
- Lacombe Co. near Clive Alix and Mirror
- Lacombe Co. near Eckville
- Lacombe Co. near Lacombe Blackfalds and Bentley
- Ponoka Co. near Ponoka and Maskwacis
- Red Deer Co. near Elnora Lousana and Delburne
- Red Deer Co. near Penhold Innisfail and Bowden
- Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake
- Red Deer Co. near Spruce View and Red Lodge Prov. Park
- Red Deer Co. near Sylvan Lake and Stephansson House